Intermittent fasting, also known as IF, is quickly becoming more and more popular all around the world. It is a pattern of eating where you are generally free to eat whatever you want to eat so long as you eat them within a specific time window of the day. There are several methods of doing this, such as the 16:8 method, the 5/2 diet, and the eat-stop-eat method.
While intermittent fasting is not as simple as it sounds, with our current smartphone technology, sticking to an IF method has become more accessible. There is a myriad of intermittent fasting apps available on Google Playstore and Apple App Store that all you need to do is to figure out which features suit your needs most.
We know that choosing an app can be overwhelming, but don’t worry because we’ll help by sharing with you some of the best fasting apps, so definitely read on.
ALSO READ: Important Fasting Acronyms and Terminologies
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INTERMITTENT FASTING APP
Intermittent fasting apps are designed to help people doing intermittent fasting to achieve their goals or to keep them on track by reminding users when it’s already time to eat and when to stop eating. Some apps show the number of calories each type of food has, and some even help users plan a meal.
If you think that you can perform IF without the need for an intermittent fasting app, then that’s great. However, if you feel like you need a little coaching and reminding, then definitely read on.
Why it’s smart to use a fasting app
Each person has their own needs, and intermittent fasting isn’t a one-size-fit-all eating habit. You need to take into consideration your own lifestyle, your weight loss goals, health condition, as well as your fitness level. Most intermittent fasting apps can be personalized to your body’s needs, which is why it is smart to take advantage of this technology.
Another reason why it is good to use an intermittent fasting app is that there are fasting apps for free, and the paid ones aren’t as expensive as hiring your own personal diet coach. Some intermittent fasting apps even take their service to another level by hooking you up with several fitness coaches to help you achieve your weight loss goals, which is still nowhere as expensive as hiring one offline.
Free Fasting Apps
If you’re on a tight budget, but you want to commit yourself to your goal of becoming more healthy and fit, consider installing a fasting app for free from your respective app store. Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to using a free IF app. Have a look below:
- you can get started with your intermittent fasting journey with no upfront cost
- free intermittent fasting apps may have limited features
- they might show annoying ads every now and then
Paid Fasting Apps
If, however, you can afford to shell out a few bucks to help you with your intermittent fasting, then going for a paid IF app might be a good idea because the pros outweigh the cons:
- paid intermittent fasting apps usually packs more features
- ads won’t be a nuisance
- if you are on a tight budget, then a monthly subscription can be considered a disadvantage
- you might discover that some features are useless after you paid the fee
FREE FASTING APPS
Using a fasting app for free is a good idea if you’re just starting out and you want to see if it’ll work for you. This is also good if you’re on a budget. If you change your mind and you want more features, most fasting apps can be upgraded to their premium version, which has no ads and has more features. Here are some of the most famous free IF apps you should try:
Clear – Intermittent Fasting and Fasting Tracker
Clear is a free intermittent fasting tracker that helps you stay on your fasting track. It has several intermittent fasting programs to choose from, so even if you are a complete newbie, you will know exactly which program is suitable for you. They also offer premium features, such as inspirational wallpaper and weight tracker as well as online backup of your achievements.
- Best features: It features a fasting timer, and you can choose the intermittent fasting method you prefer.
- Pros: What’s great about this app is that there’s not a need for you to register, and even if you don’t go for its premium subscription, you won’t see any annoying ads at all.
- Cons: You have to pay extra to get the online backup, not available on iOS
- Link to the app: Playstore
Zero is one of the most popular free intermittent fasting apps available for Android and iOS users. It supports several types of fasting methods, such as the Circadian method, the Monk Fast method, and the more popular 16:8 method and even up to 1 week extended fasting.
You can also track your progress, and the app can also be synced with Google Fit so you can track your weight loss journey. What’s more, is that the app has a link to intermittent fasting blogs to inspire you and keep you well-versed about intermittent fasting.
Soon, Zero will be launching its paid version that will posses advance features.
- Best features: It can be linked to Google Fit for more manageable weight loss tracking
- Pros: It is absolutely ad-free; it has links to blogs about intermittent fasting; it supports some of the most popular fasting methods; user-friendly interface
- Cons: It only has basic features.
- Link to the app: Playstore, App Store
Life Fasting Tracker
Life Fasting Tracker ranks among the best fasting apps because it’s free, offers flexible fasting tracking feature, and users will have access to an in-app community where they can meet other people who are into intermittent fasting.
- Best Features: Circle– an in-app community where you can inspire and be inspired by other people who are using the app.
- Pros: It features a collection of videos about intermittent fasting which will inspire you to commit to a healthier lifestyle. If you subscribe to its premium version, you’ll have access to real-time coaching and biomarker which will help you attain your weight-loss goals.
- Cons: Some might find the registration and security features inconvenient.
- Link to the app: Playstore or App Store
PAID FASTING APPS
If you have extra money that you can spend on additional features, then definitely go for paid fasting apps. In fact, the monthly cost isn’t that high, and with loads of apps dedicated to fasting, it is effortless to find a cheap fasting app that won’t break your bank. Here are some of them:
Aside from being able to personalize the app to your personal weight loss goal, it will give you access to an in-app meal planner with recipes approved by nutritionists, demos of workouts you can do while fasting. So it isn’t just a tracker alone, but a one-stop-shop intermittent fasting app. What’s more, is that it has links to health blogs that will keep your fasting desire burning.
- Cost: $30 per 3-month subscription
- Best features: Aside from a fasting app, you’ll have access to a meal planner to help you prepare healthy meals
- Pros: It is an all-in-one app; with videos of workouts, recipes, and a weight tracker.
- Cons: The initial cost is a bit high. No free version.
- Link to the apps: Playstore, App Store
As its name suggests, Simple is a simple fasting tracker that offers a user-friendly interface. You can personalize your fasting tracking, and it provides people new to IF a guide on how to fast effectively.
Aside from food, it will also provide you with a hydration tracker to ensure that you are drinking the right amount of water during your fasting. It also has 30 intermittent fasting methods, so it offers much more flexibility for a wide variety of customers.
- Cost: It only costs $2.99 per month which is relatively cheap.
- Best features: It has 30 intermittent fastings presets to suit different fasting preferences.
- Pros: It has a 7-day trial period so you can test the app and see if you’ll like it before subscribing.
- Cons: It does not provide food calorie insights.
- Link to the apps: Playstore, App Store
Window is another simple fasting tracker app that you can use to track your weight loss progress and includes a monthly overview of your intermittent fasting. You can log your daily eating habits here to give you an insight into your eating habits. It has 7 fasting method presets to choose from.
- Cost: At $2.99, it is easily one of the cheapest intermittent fasting apps in the market.
- Best features: Its monthly calendar overview.
- Pros: Flexible plans; you can go for a month to month subscription or yearly subscription. It also has a trial period where you can test if the app works for you.
- Cons: It only features basic tracking. It doesn’t include workout videos or recipes.
- Link to the apps: Playstore, App Store
Track Your Fast Pro
Track Your Fast Pro is a fasting tracker app that can be customized depending on each user’s preferences. Aside from fasting, it also tracks your weight based on the goal you’ve set. Also, it has a widget that will notify you when it’s time already time to eat. What’s great is that you only need to pay once, and the app is yours forever with no monthly subscription.
- Cost: A one-time payment of $5.25 to get all the features of the app.
- Best features: It saves all the history of your fast to give you an insight into your fasting habits.
- Pros: You only need to pay once. There is a free, but ad-supported version of the app.
- Cons: It is a basic fasting tracking app, and it is only available in Playstore.
- Link to the apps: Play Store
And these are the best apps for fasting that you can use to help you stick to your fasting routine. Please note that fasting is not recommended for everyone, especially those with special health conditions. If you’re unsure, you must consult your doctor or an expert before starting this journey.
I hope that you’ve found the right fasting app to assist you with your intermittent fasting. If you have questions, suggestions, or if you want to share a great intermittent fasting app to your fellow readers, feel free to leave your comments below.